No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1st Corinthians 10:13

Feb 11, 2012

What the Grinch and I have in Common


It's Saturday.

My house is a bit of a mess and I'm still in my pjs; aside from feeding people and going through pictures and memories, I haven't accomplished much at all.  I've things in my head and on my heart.  
Noah was here early this morning; it is rare that we see him without Casey but he was running an errand and didn't want her along......he had to pick up a surprise!  This afternoon they arrived, together and engaged to be married!  It's been quite a journey for them but they, and we, are ready for this next step and are celebrating with them. 
Brad and I skyped with Cam this morning; so cool to be able to reach across the miles that separate us using technology!  To see his face; to hear his voice.....it was good.  His siblings all took the opportunity to chat and to tell him he is loved.....most definitely loved.  We're looking forward to having him home for a break in a couple weeks.

I had coffee with a friend on Wednesday; a new friend!  We met at a Second Cup in the east end of Ottawa but it was packed so down the road to Starbucks we went.  Not only did I get to spend time with a new friend over coffee, but Ben was working and when his shift was over I drove him home.  He has a lot going on right now:  waiting to hear from med schools and planning a wedding.....it's hard for him to wait, but he's waiting well.  Despite our best laid plans, this life offers many unknowns and as his mom I have to remind myself that the best thing I can do is to continue to entrust him and his beautiful Buhle to God.  Not always easy, but God is ever faithful.
 

Meagan is heading out shortly to attend a bachelorette party; not only does she have two brothers getting married, but two friends as well, which has kept her busy with pre-wedding parties for weeks now!  I longed for her before I ever knew I was expecting her and loved her before we met; she is beautiful, both inside and out.  It will take a very special man to capture her attention and heart.  She is quiet and strong; adventurous, yet prefers to be behind the scenes.  She gives of herself daily to God, her family and her work.  She is beautiful, both inside and out.


Carleigh is in her last semester of highschool and actually home today!  She too is waiting to hear back from Universities and, I expect, will be off to the school of her choice come September.  As Meagan was to her, so she is to her younger siblings and Declan and Rhys will miss her, but the one she fondly refers to as "mini me" will especially. 


It wasn't that long ago........

I remember awaiting the arrival of our first baby; such anticipation!  We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, but long before Meagan Rae arrived we were in love.....and have been ever since. 
As a new mom, it was hard to imagine ever loving another human being as much......as it turned out, Brad and I didn't have to wait terribly long to find out if we could, 'cause before we celebrated Meagan's 2nd birthday, we welcomed Benjamin James into our hearts.  When my gran was still with us, Meagan and Ben couldn`t be in the same room without her telling whoever was within ear shot about how Meagan had been such a beautiful baby.....and her concern about how this next one was ever going to hold a candle to his or her big sister!  When she saw Benjamin she knew that boy would have no problem holding his own. Benjamin was not only a beautiful baby, but he was as close to perfect as any baby ever was and with his arrival I learned that I didn't have to share my love; there was just.....more.
Just under 18 months later, along came our Noah with his cherubic face and twinkling, mischievous eyes.  Once he started smiling, he never stopped.  He would smile through most anything, which  is incredibly annoying when you're disciplining him, but there were other times.....more than I can remember, when his smile made his mama's day better.







Campbell came next, all 10lb 12oz of him.  He was big and beautiful and exuberant, yet had an "old soul" and the most generous heart.  After the birth of #4 was the first time I wondered if our family was complete, but I didn't feel done.  It wasn't until I learned we were expecting #5 that I knew this baby would be our last.  




Carleigh MacKenzie arrived on Remembrance Day, 1994; another beautiful baby girl to help balance out all that testosterone and the long-awaited, much prayed-for sister for Meagan.  The family was complete; we were a "millionaire's" family a couple times over and I was done.   Though we were still living on Manitoulin, we had Carleigh in the Sault 'cause mama was having a 'lil post-birth surgery.  Our home, and hearts, were full. 



Well anybody who knows us knows I changed my mind; it is, after all, a woman's perogative.  That is an entirely different story, one better left to another day.  I will say, though, that God heard not only my prayer for more, but Carleigh's, and He answered.....abundantly.

 

Love, real love, doesn't subtract or divide; it adds and multiplies and makes room for more; for so much more......and so I say I'm like the grinch 'cause I'm sure my heart is AT LEAST three times what it used to be.



Alex and Marissa aren't mine biologically, but they are a special part of our lives and I love them. 


     





No comments: