No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1st Corinthians 10:13

Apr 30, 2012

When Desire meets Difficulty

It was 10 years ago today the deal to purchase what we have affectionately come to call "the palace" closed and we took a step in what has turned out to be quite an adventure! I can recall the anticipation and excitement we as a family felt.  The building wasn't pretty, but we saw beyond the ugliness to the potential.  We saw what others either didn't or couldn't see; we had ideas and dreams.....we saw the potential.  As we proceeded to jump through the necessary hoops to make the 11,000 square foot building ours, we were met with challenges along the way, but our dreams outweighed them.  When the listing agent advised that he was expecting an Offer from another buyer, we gathered the kids together to pray as a family and left the outcome to God.  I don't know if the offer was ever made, but we never heard about it again.

We moved to Kemptville just prior to the Canada Day in 2002; I remember because my dad, sister Dawn and her kids were coming to spend the long weekend with us and the kids and I wanted to host them at the new place.  Though I'm sure they thought we were crazy, they were gracious.  I think dad said that there was a lot of work to do and Dawn was quiet as I toured them through room after room after room.....she was likely thinking "better Deb than me"!  I on the other hand was flying high; I was excited and envisioning what would be rather than what was.  It definitely marked the beginning of a faith journey for me; one that is far from over. 

This past friday, April 27, marked the 3rd anniversary of the fire that started in the grass behind our palace on a warm, windy day.  By the time the boys alerted me to it, there was nothing to do but call 911 and grab baby Tess from her crib.  We've learned some things in the 10 years since we bought our palace.....things about ourselves and things about one another.  I can't say that in the intervening time that has passed that I've never had a doubt or wished I were in a more comfortable place, but what I can say is that despite the difficulties and I would dare to say that because of the difficulties, we continue to choose to see beyond the ugliness to the potential that lies within our diamond in the rough.



No comments: