No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1st Corinthians 10:13

Feb 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

Perhaps it's 'cause Valentine's Day was approaching.....or maybe it's 'cause of all the relationship conversation at church....or maybe it's because I have two boys getting married this summer!!  Whatever the reason, I've been bombarded recently with memories of my own lovely, albeit brief, engagement and courtship to my sweetheart.  We had met at the office; Brad was an associate at the law firm where I got my first job after graduating.  I can remember the very first time I saw him.  It was hunting season and he'd been off but came in one day for whatever reason and we were introduced.  A few months later when his secretary went on mat leave, I took her place.  Brad was easy and fun to work with and we got along very well; a great working relationship quickly became a friendship that equally as quickly was something.....more.  We started dating in November of 1985 and it wasn't long before we knew that we would be married.  Outside of work we spent hours sharing our dreams; talking about family and how many kids there would be (8 wasn't one of the numbers discussed) and in April of 1986, Brad proposed and I happily accepted.  And the wedding date?  June 21, just two months later.   Ah, the joys of "small town", (Island) life!  Wedding co-ordinators didn't exist.  We were married in the church I'd grown up in, surrounded by our family and friends.  

It was a beautiful day; one I'll never forget.
Brad and I had enjoyed writing to one another in those early days of discovering that we were in love.  On the morning of the wedding, while we girls were having photos taken at our home, a wee parcel arrived for me from my beloved, with a letter:

And he's been there everyday since.  Our life together has not always been romance and love letters, but the good times....the good times have far outweighed the difficult times and the difficult times (there were a few), have only served to bind us together, and to provide us with some great stories!  True stories of God's forgiveness, his grace, his faithfulness and yes his favour in our lives.  That's an ongoing story and as I recall what lies behind us, I look forward with great excitement to see what comes next!




    



No comments: