No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1st Corinthians 10:13

Feb 18, 2012

Life....a Spectator Sport?


On Boxing Day this year, we began our adventure to Florida.  We don't fly, we drove; as a large family who enjoys going places, it's what we've always done.  Our mantra:  "part of the journey is in the getting there".  True in road trips and true in life.

11 people (3 under the age of 8), 3 vehicles, 2 days.

You may not believe me if I tell you it was fun and I don't know that everyone who took part would agree, but for me there is something about the getting there that I enjoy.  There's a mindset, a groove....and on this trip we had several vehicles and many drivers which provided us with lots of mobility. 

Though the resort we were at shared one of Disney's boundaries, we didn't "do Disney".  We wanted flexibility; wanted to enjoy what the resort offered, enjoy some family time as well as leave time and room for people to do their own thing.  Brad and I sacrificed a morning and sat through one of those high pressure sales things....the reward?  4 free passes to Gatorland and the balance at a reduced cost.  Kids had great fun. 

One afternoon Meg and I took Declan, Rhys and Tess to a petting zoo.  I know...it's a long way to go to a petting zoo, but this one was on steroids.  Lots of animals, some familiar and some not-so-much.  They offered a hay ride, train ride and pony rides.....the kids even had an opportunity to milk a dairy cow and on our way out Declan, Rhys and Tess got to choose a stuffed toy!  Tess and Rhys took advantage of any opportunity to go into the pens.  Declan, however, wasn't as eager.  He went with me into the sheep pen and he held a baby chick, but he wasn't near as excited as his younger siblings to meet the goats or chase chickens and ducks around despite encouragement from Meg and I.  He told me he enjoyed watching and eventually we stopped suggesting he take part.  He's got a quick mind and a wicked imagination, but when it comes to some things, he seems content to be a spectator.  It bugged me.

I've done that.....not all the time, but all too often I've been content to observe as others live out their dreams, despite huge encouragement to the contrary.  For a long time I believed.....me, myself and I.....that my role in life was to encourage and support others and though I want to be that person, it should not exclude me from pursuing my own dreams and passions. 
Life is definately NOT a spectator sport.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.  (John 10:10 ESV) 



 







   

No comments: