No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 1st Corinthians 10:13

Jan 24, 2012

I was texting with Cam this morning; he's heading off on a Men's Retreat this weekend and asked me to help get him registered.  I was pleased to see that the retreat was being held at Cedar Campus; Brad introduced me to this place many years when we had the priviledge of attending as camp counsellors together. 
In the course of our conversation, I asked Cam how he was doing; asked him a couple times and after a lengthy pause he answered.  He's been fighting (in a spiritual sense) and he's tired...... There have been times when one or the other of my children have come to me, laden with one weight or another.....sometimes I've been in a place myself where I just felt overwhelmed by my own stuff and panic.  Other times I've tried to just deal with it on my own strength.  What was so cool today was that I found myself in a place where I was able to encourage Cam to "faint not".  (Okay, I didn't say "faint not!" .....that just came to me and I thought it sounded cool.  Call it creative license.)I know what it's like to feel weary and overwhelmed and like I'm in a fog.....I think when we're honest we all have those times but that's one of the really cool things about being part of something larger than ourselves.  
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 2 Cor 1:4 (NLT) 
So we talked.  There was no stumbling or bumbling about for words.....those just came and not just words, but truth.  When we were done, I didn't feel anxious or panicked or burdened about what my boy was experiencing.....I felt at peace.  Rather than keep it to myself, which is my tendency, I called a friend and we stood in agreement and prayed for my boy.  It was AWESOME; not a word I use lightly.  So simple, yet so wonderful.  I'm excited to see what God has in store for Cam this weekend! 
This was happening over the course of the morning; I`d been working with Rhys and then was making Swiss Steak for supper.  Ever had it?  It's a great way to use a cheaper cut of steak.  I floured the counter and was using the edge of a plate to pound the meat when Alex happened by.....
"You know it's dead" she said, and we both chucked.  She's just too funny...... 
I love a good analogy and as I was pounding away, I was mindful of my conversation with Cam.  I explained the process to Alex; once I'd pounded the meat to my satisfaction, I would fry it so it was nicely browned, season it, toss in a couple sliced onions and a can of tomatoes and then cook it long and low for the afternoon.  The result?  Meat so tender it falls apart when you touch it.   
For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.  James 1 2 - 4

No comments: